Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sauteed Beef with Hummous

I didn't put any thought into my husband's ancestral food traditions when we married. At least, not at first. It wasn't on the list of qualifications, so to speak.

But, as time passed and his family started poking at me to learn some of their food traditions - Dad is first generation Syrian-American - I got much more interested in it than they are, and now I play with Middle Eastern food (and culture!) to the delight of my entire household.

A super simple, protein-filled, delicious lunch is one of sauteed beef, served on a bed of homemade hummous. Hummous used to give me fits - it was my very, very weak link in my Middle Eastern repertoire - until I had a chat with Hibba, an Iraqi bellydancer now living in Canada. Hibba was pleased that I loved Middle Eastern food, and laughed when I told her how hummous flummoxed me so.

"Leave the garlic out. That's an American thing."

And now, my Hummous no longer sucks.

Ingredients:

2 pounds beef stew meat, diced small
2 tbs. butter

For the hummous:

1 can (8 oz) chick peas, rinsed and well drained
1 cup tahini
1/2 cup or so lemon juice

2 comments:

  1. My hummous sucks, but I think it's because I always use dry beans, not canned, and don't use enough salt to compensate.

    ReplyDelete